Wednesday, August 16, 2006

When lightning strikes twice

At least this accident totalled my car, and left me relatively unhurt as opposed to the last accident where I was busted up and I forgot my car at home. Of course this time I have health insurance. But I got to wait for 1.5 hours for Kaiser to take five X-rays of my neck, just in case.

My two year old Corolla bit the dust last week when a woman plowed into me in an intersection in Berkeley (Milvia and Dwight). Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers - right after I crawled out the driver's side window because my door wouldn't open (think Dukes of Hazzard - Bo, not Luke), a guy walked up to me and offered himself as a witness saying the other person was totally in the wrong and had run the stop sign.

External damage looked pretty bad on the front end, but I never thought it was a total loss. 21st Century said otherwise. So I'm looking for a new car. I don't know how much I'll get offered for the value of the Corolla yet, but I'm thinking about a Matrix now that I'm living the high life and can afford a little more car this time around. Unless anyone else has a great recommendation for a high gas mileage (~30 mpg), four door, hatchback (new dog) for 20K or less. All wheel drive is a bonus. Now that I've gotten the comments bug on the blog worked out, I expect several suggestions from my new fan base.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say the Matrix is pretty awesome overall for the price and would be a bit easier with the dog (as long as the dog isn't driving), camping, etc.

Cool that you have a journal now (and what a literary/fast-food-related title! :o)

BLB said...

McBeth is meant to combine my name with K's. hopefully she'll do some posting once in a while too.

Nikki said...

Mmm, t'was a good point. Reading - to go. I hadn't thought that far into the meaning of said blog title. Too bad you didn't pretend to be that witty because now I can't wait for K to post a horribly embarrassing story about you. This should be her new goal in life now that you've entered the blogosphere.

I'd comment on the Matrix but beyond the movie, I know nothing about the car. As a side note, the world would have been a better place if Neo would have just taken the blue pill and the story ended. I really didn't need to see a movie where Ted had another weird adventure. I like to pretend he took the blue pill. It's better that way.

Anonymous said...

Ironic that your title is about Lightning, since your friend's plane was hit by lightning that very day. Apparently the pilot got shocked and had to go to the hospital as well. Luckily, the plane was still waiting for him when he returned- a half day later...

As for embarassing stories...

Anonymous said...

Geez Bethany, it sounds like California drivers are just as bad as the Rhode Island drivers I gladly left behind a couple years ago. I love my Saturn Ion, which I bought in 2004 to finally replace the car that was so badly banged up from living in RI, but it's not a hatchback. -JMN