Thursday, August 17, 2006

Shake it Like a Polaroid Picture

A tiny earthquake was enough to startle me from sleep, yet quick enough to leave me confused as to why I was suddenly awake at the ungodly hour of 5:58 AM during the summer. (Teachers have the best gigs ever.) The USGS confirmed, just a brief moment later, a quake of magnitude 2.9 on the Richter scale.

The top 20 largest quakes of all time in the United States are mostly in Alaska. Interestingly, the tail end of the list is brought up by the ones in California - while numbers 7 and 9 (OF ALL TIME!) were in a little midwestern state....Missouri. Hmmm, looks like they're long overdue for another one. Who's shakin' in their boots now?

4 comments:

Nikki said...

I feel like this entire post is a personal attack on me. Firstly, I HATE that song. Secondly, New Madrid, Missouri is on the complete other side of the state. So, I'm not shakin' in my boots.

I'm not the one that lives 4 miles from an active fault line. And I have way better luck than you do. (Note my lack of car incidents.) And an Earthquake didn't wake me at 5:58am this morning. Of course, my alarm clock did wake me at 6, so... I guess at least you have the teacher hours working for you.

Although I only work from 8-4 every day and I never have any homework.

BLB said...

1. Nothing on the internet can be considered personal.
2. Who the hell knows where anything in the Midwest is anyway?
3. I've been driving (or walking, as the case may be) for six years longer than you, and these two incidents have both occurred in the past three years. Watch youself.
4. I'd like to cite a webpage that very explicitly refers to moi. See "Tragic April"

Nikki said...

Aw, c'mon! Tragic April was a Birthday Present!!

Didn't it make you smile just a little bit?

Anonymous said...

Now children